Lovely Facers, it’s time to Show Your Face! As it is November we do have a theme and it is ‘In The Style Of’ where we can incorporate the work/ style/ technique/ materials of an established artist. But you are free to use the theme or not use it and free to interpret it differently if you wish, so just have a play!
Before we get started I just want to say how sorry I am that I’m not getting around everyone’s blogs at the moment. November is proving to be very busy here at Kimberley Studios! I am really missing seeing your work in more details but I am loving the thumbnails that show up and I am extremely grateful that you are journeying with me in this face journey, I hope that you are enjoying it!
I hope that you will forgive me and that I get some time to do some catching up!
First up the admin…
- In The Style Of – November 2015 (examine our favourite established artists, incorporate what they do through our own face practise)
- Focus On Eyes – January 2016 (break out of our normal practice and try different styles of doing eyes such as traditional, cartoon, manga etc. As suggested by Susana Magenheimer)
- Inspired By – March 2016 (pick fellow Facers to inspire our work this month)
Feel free to let me know if you have any more themes or ideas for Show Your Face.
- Show Your Face is a community link up for portrait work in any style or medium.
- the aims are to share, learn, practise, inspire, and be inspired.
- to make sure that the face artwork is yours, if you use any stamps or templates to build the face they should be designed by you.
- the link is open from 10 am (BST) every Friday and stays open for a week, so link away.
- finished pieces, works in progress or retro posts (i.e. older works, not from this week) are all welcome.
- to link back to the link blog post here for that week.
- Spread the word on your blog/social media outlets and use the #ShowYourFaceFriday hashtag in social media.
Looking For The Blog Button?
If you want to wear the blog button with pride then hop on over to Show Your Face 31st July 2015 to grab it and there are instructions on how to put it on your blog there too.
My Share This Week…
So I am really enjoying finding out about female artist which, like I said last week, is how I decided to interpret our Show Your Face theme. It is a great excuse to find out more about them. My share this week is in the style of Toyen (aka Marie Čermínová 1902 – 1980) who was part of the surrealist movement according to the regrettably small biography about her on Wikipedia.
Her style seems to be very much around line work which is something I’ve found I enjoy doing as well. My Toyen-style face is drawn in ball point pen on a painted art journal page. Then I’ve added some gesso and dripping to help her to stand out from the page.
If you are interested in women surrealists you can find a handy list on Wikipedia and also here are some curated together on Flavorwire.
Over To You…
Link your faces artwork and spread the word on your blog and/or social media, hashtag #ShowYourFaceFriday. Please do let anyone you think would be interested in sharing their portraits know about our community here.
Catch you later Face-Artinators
PS. Some other places you might want to link your work to: Art journal pages link up with Julie Fei-Fan Balzer’s Art Journal Everyday post. Painted pages share at Paint Party Friday. Art journal page with an Autumn Colours theme link up to Art Journal Journey. Those of you on Facebook ask Darcy Wilkinson if you can join her Face To Face page.
Come And Connect With Me: